Tuesday, July 19, 2022

tv

 I'm not sure how long I've been doing this, probably about a year: I've been making my way through the entire Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (SVU) series. I would check IMDB and hop over to the relevant Chicago P.D. episode for the occasional crossover refresher. Sadly, peacock doesn't have the first season of Law & Order: Organized Crime available, so I have missed out on some additional details/background once Detective Stabler was back in town. I'm on the most recent season (23!!) of SVU now, almost all caught up.

Perhaps sensing that I was winding down my SVU journey, I recently found myself randomly searching Netflix for something to watch... and have started down a silly rabbit hole: Charmed! Now, I might have watched one episode of the original series, so I am not going to pretend to compare this reboot with the original. It's a little campy, many characters seem two-dimensional, but it's surprisingly bearable. The magic aspect amuses me to no end, and I like how there's this overarching theme running through at least the first season (I'm about halfway through) in addition to the demon of the week issue. I do appreciate the calling out of the patriarchy, the non-straight relationships, and non-white main characters. This reboot totally embraces current technology, and often has the girls taking pictures of the relevant page of the Book of Spells, and reading the spell off of their phones, I think that's just funny and awesome combined. 

I used to watch the One Chicago series (Chicago Fire, P.D., and Med), stopped when we moved, but I'm assuming they are also available on peacock; I plan on picking up where I left off for these three. The challenge is to watch them in order of airing, rather than picking one and watching straight through; lots of crossover themes, right? I'll probably start this once I'm done with SVU. 

I don't have a DVR / access to anything streaming except peacock (thanks, Xfinity/Flex!) anymore since we moved, and the only thing I miss is Doctor Who. Watched the first season with Jodie Whitaker, then no more DVR/cable. Oh well, one day I'll be able to catch up again. I'd start at the reboot / Nine again, though, I need a refresher :) "Are you my mummy?"

No I don't think about tv all day, nor do I watch it all day. However, this is how I unwind once the kids are in bed: I watch between 1-3 episodes of SOMEthing before I myself turn in. More recently (read: the past couple of days) I've taken to sneaking in an episode of Charmed on my phone during the day when both kids are otherwise occupied and I would otherwise spend the time doomscrolling on FB. I do have some summer deliverables, though, so I need to get on that too.


Lynne

8:50am


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...