Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yasmin Ahmad

Yasmin Ahmad, or Kak Yasmin as most people called her, is well-known for the touch-a-nerve Petronas advertisements that would come out every major public holiday. The ones I remember from 8-ish years ago (the Indian boy witnessing Merdeka; something about trimming the hedge; ...) I can't find online, but here are some examples of her recent work (in ads):

For Malay(si)a's 50th year of Independence: urging us to consider whether what we're building is truly going to last...


For Chinese New Year 2009:


For Deepavali: (see Curry Wars! for this ad's inspiration)


Last year, the Singapore government hired her to produce ads encouraging "family"; you can see her first via the link, and here's another:


Kak Yasmin is also a film maker, internationally acclaimed -- heard of Sepet? Gubra? Mukhsin? More on that at a malaysian abroad.

The reason I'm featuring her today is... I woke up this morning to see news that she had collapsed, had to be revived, was in ICU, operated on, stable but critical... I hope you agree from the above vids that she is an amazing person, so please send positive and healing thoughts vibes and prayers her way.

If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my feed
or subscribing via email. I'm on Twitter too!

2 comments:

  1. News just in that Yasmin Ahmad just passed away.. I am terribly sad.. Our nation lost a true gem today.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shemah for the sad update. :(

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...