Thursday, April 09, 2015

... of weight and salt ...

I've been eyeing the Y's Lose Big program; session two starts next week.


I joined both sessions last year. Shared progress on FB. Lost some weight, but very quickly realised that there was no way I could maintain that lifestyle -- it was taking away from even grocery shopping, and adding to the stress of kid juggling etc. 


I really started yelling/screaming at the kids all the time at this time, as I recall.


A year later.  I'm at a much better place mentally. Still struggling, though.


On one hand the exercise will help uplift me overall, no doubt about that, hello endorphins. But on the other hand, I can see the stress of just making the minimum workouts, and jumping through the figurative hoops, is not going to do me any good.


So no, Lose Big.


Instead I'll once again work on some small changes. 


Like Coke Zero. 


Haven't had any in ?months? Sometimes I miss it so much. But all we have now is Diet Coke which I won't touch (my plan was no soda at all, but hubby couldn't handle it, lol!). 


Not sure if it's related, but I'm starting to notice salty food. Took a bite of the cheese I feed the kids all the time and am aghast at how salty it tastes. Nova's fave food ever (couscous w spinach in lemon butter sauce -- you'll find it in the frozen veg section, he'll eat the entire bag in one sitting) -- I sampled that yesterday and found it way too salty too. 


Anyways.


Hello, stream of consciousness typing.

2 comments:

  1. I've been staying from soda (diet or not) for many months. And after some time, I noticed salty and overly sweet food. One time I took a sip of Coke, and (unbelievably) I gagged. Manis gilo! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big Weight Watchers advocate. No, I'm not super skinny, but what they taught me was how to eat well for life. And I found you have to attend the meetings for hints to help with success, support for those rough weeks, and that scale....the damn scale. There is no lying to the scale.

    Be kind to yourself. Raising a young family is hard work and STRESSFUL. It's not easy to cook healthy meals and still have everyone eat. There is no time, this one hates this, that one hates that....it's crazy. Start slow and make small changes. Allow yourself ONE coke a day as your treat, maybe. Maybe just walk more with the kids. Run around with the kids at the park instead of watching them from the bench.....all that little stuff adds up.

    Be good to YOU, though. You can't take care of everyone until YOU are okay--mentally, physically, and emotionally. I know....a lot easier to say than do. :) Hang in there, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...