Wednesday, November 19, 2008

winter is coming!

... and I don't mean right now that the seasons are turning yet again... although they certainly are... it was a few days ago that I spied a bunch of snowflakes dancing in the breeze, fluttering in the air as they drifted slowly down to the ground, as I huffed and puffed at the elliptical machine in the gym. The snow didn't stick, and it was just a little flurry thingy anyway... but yeah, that 8would* indicate that winter is indeed coming ...

... but that is NOT that I'm referring to!

Anyone know? Anyone?

Hmmm... okay so how many of you have read George R R Martin's Sword of Ice and Fire series? If you haven't, please do. It's an awesome series, each book (4 so far) is an extremely satisfying read, even though *sniff!* the wrong people diieeeeeeeee *waaaaaaah!!* but that is what sets it in a class all of its own ... this is no cookie cutter fantasy. Cetta over at Ritualistic lists a few reasons for you to pick up the books: go here and read them, and tell me you're not inspired to give this series a try. A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book One) I also talked about it a little here, omg was that three years ago already?

Actually it's thanks to Cetta that I am grinning happily right now. Upon visiting her blog tonight, I found out that on November 11th, NOT ONLY did GRRM announce that HBO will be filming the pilot episode of A Game of Thrones, but he ALSO assures fans that the script is excellent and faithful to the book. I quote: "Winter is coming to HBO. Hot damn."

Whooohooooo!!!!!!!!!! Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)

... I do hope this turns out well ... of course, HBO is NOT among the channels available to us right now based on our cable subscription package. And the last time I talked Kosh into upping our cable service was for us to get SciFi's The Dresden Files - a short-lived one season series that was relatively okay by itself, so long you didn't start comparing it to the book lah :D


And do y'all remember my not so good review of The Legend of The Seeker? Well, I watched the next episode (Bounty, I think - about a cartographer that manages to produce maps that show Richard's location), and was *SO* put off that I wasn't going to bother watching any more episodes. Lame storylines, poor acting, atrocious fight sequences... you name it, they botched it. ... surprisingly, Kosh wanted to catch last week's episode, just for s's and g's. Okay fine, so we watched it - something about Richard stumbling upon the village in which he had been born, and managing to get the villagers to rise up against their D'Haran oppressors. Slightly better storyline, but still, just not appealing. I do hope that is the last episode that I ever catch of this series. yes, that's how much I am not impressed.

.. and again, I am reminded that I *have* to get my hands on Wizard's First Rule. Firstly because I don't remember details, so when Kosh asks me "Is this episode anything like anything that happens in the book" I can only answer I don't remember, it's been way too long! I have been reminded that the books have some serious S&M going on, which I doubt will every get mentioned in the tv series. Not that I care, really.

Really!

After all, I have the tv adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire to look forward to.

Please, oh please, let the pilot be accepted by the HBO gods.

Please, oh please, let it be GOOD!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...