Tuesday, March 30, 2010

a month of resolutions: March recap and April outlook

One word describes my month of March: UGH!

Seriously. Bad enough Kosh had (and still has) to work vampiric hours 5 nights a week, but the month also started out with me suffering from a bad cold that lingered, knocking me out for over a week, resulting in my being all too willing to sleep the day away alongside the zombified Kosh.

So the daily writing goals? Zilch. But hey, at least yesterday I finally managed to get my trip report d.o.n.e, so hopefully a huge mental block is now over and done with.

The daily fiber intake? Certainly wasn't daily. Might have hit 50%, but I think I'm being generous.

The daily meditation? Ugh. Don't even go there.

The daily exercise? I count 18 days, but most of them were 30-60 mins of morning post-work racquetball with Kosh followed by about 15mins on the elliptical. In theory I had the opportunity to go for evening exercise classes at the Y after dropping Kosh off at work, but that happened for one week, then my motivation went haywire. Hardly the "ramp it up" I was shooting for, eh?

But I'm not hitting myself over the head for the lack of achievement for this month: I had suspected Kosh's vampiric hours would wreak havoc on my schedule, after all... I just didn't expect how badly it would affect me! Still haven't figured out a compromise or way to deal with his schedule without going over to the dark side with him. As such, my goals for April are very toned down:

April Exercise: join the 5:45am classes at the YMCA 5x/week. Any other activities are bonus, such as also going for evening classes, or having Kosh join me in the morning once he's done with work so we can smack some blue balls around.

April Food: Consume only raw / barely-processed food during the weekdays. Weekends are kinda a lost cause (I don't have the heart to impose dietary restrictions on Kosh; neither do I have the willpower to stick to my guns when he's being all bad with his food...), so I'll work on being good to myself, by myself, during the week.

Yes to fruits, nuts, cottage cheese, water, tea ... No Kraft Mac&Cheese and other things that come out of a box; no bagels, bread, cereal (apart from oatmeal), sun chips; no Coke Zero!

It's going to be a challenge all right, but I need to be eating better, and this is the first step. The only exception will be the glass of fiber I still want to take daily. I've already got mangoes, advocados, kiwi and a bag of salad in the fridge, plus a 5lb bag of red 'taters and a first round of roasted chickpeas on hand!

btw isn't it a sign of the times that the smileys I found for "eating" were smiling when eating a burger but have this weird suffering look when eating a healthy apple??!!

... and that's it. Just those two main items for April; they are achievable and sustainable, enough to keep me going up to my departure for Malaysia. My time in Malaysia is going to be bad for me food- and exercise-wise, I just know it! :p

Oh btw, registration for the Postcard/Link Exchange of 2010 is now underway!
I'd love to send you a postcard from Malaysia, so please sign up, it's a lot of fun!
You can also be in the running to receive a Malaysian-themed gift, so why aren't you signed-up yet? Go go go!! :D


PLX2010 image derived from mailbox by clix
Calendar by djayo
All smileys from MS Office clip art


If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my feed
or subscribing via email. I'm on Twitter too!

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I didn't even think about the impression on the smileys. Weird! Nothing wrong with a big juicy apple.

    I am excited to hear how your raw/no-processed foods weekday challenge goes. That is where we are trying to get - to not-processed foods. We have been tinkering around with making our own bread and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go with the Year of Resolutions! Mine this month was so-so with the exercise, till I got sick. I plan to keep it up, though. I'm hitting the Y, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kilax: I'm going go into painful detail in (yet) another blog, once blogger lets me access my dashboard. stay tuned!

    karl: yep, you and I both kinda suffered in March -- here's to better results in April! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...