Friday, March 07, 2008

oidioid

... can anyone tell me what that word means??

My Merriam-Webster Dictionary (2004) has nothing like that in it, and my Official Scrabble Players Dictionary (3rd Ed, 1996) has only "OIDIUM, pl OIDIA (a type of fungus)"... turns out it's related: resembling fungi of the genus Oidium. Yes, I couldn't find an official definition, had to find it indirectly... maybe if I invest in the Scrabble Official Tournament Dictionary it might appear there?

... yeah so I was playing scramble a few minutes ago, and just *had* to express my disgust at that particular word appearing in the list of possible words for that one particular board.

... On a related note, last week Kosh and I bought the actual physical Boggle board game, and my oh my how nice it was to play for real / "live"! If nothing else, it's going to force me to actually learn the meanings to words that up til now I just knew to type in (for example: ait, ani, avo, gie, hae, quin, tae, wot), because Kosh wouldn't accept words I didn't know the definition of. Which is fair, considering I've been playing Scramble semi-professionally (read: *all* the friggin' day!) for *how* many months now?? From my first attempts where I could barely score 25 points, I can sometimes hit 140points,,, and have occasionally been the highest-scoring person in the live games room.

Hmmm, I think I need a life. :)

And, in case you were wondering:
AIT : a small island
ANI : a tropical American bird
AVO : a monetary unit of Monaco
GIE : to give
HAE : to have
TAE : to
QUIN : a quintuplet
WOT : to know

More Facebook-related news in the next post, where I'll geek out a bit at being acknowledged by an author... stay tuned!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...