Friday, November 05, 2004

A must-see: "Office Space"

Calling all people who relate all too well to Dilbert cartoons! Check out "Office Space" and discover a surprising movie with a large cult following, from the creator of… MTV’s Beavis and Butthead?! Ugh!

B&B were NOT my fave cartoon characters at all, and I had next to no respect for anyone who found them hilarious. So of course, when I was recommended to watch a movie by B&B’s creator, I was like “Uh, yeah, sure, uh-huh, I guess I could watch it one day.”

I was obviously turned around, or else I would be writing this, would I?

Most of the actors are unknowns to me, except Jennifer Aniston who plays a waitress (SO much like her job at Central Perk! that one time in Friends).

Won’t divulge too much about the storyline. The main character is someone who has decided to “let go” in relation to his job, just at the time when the company where he works hires consultants *gasp!* to improve efficiency (a.k.a downsize :p ). Battles with bosses, fax machines, and “the system” abound!

I related all TOO well to most of the interactions the main character had with his boss and the consultants... had visions of my CSS and ITA/ITP days just flashing thru my mind... *not* a pretty sight!! :D

My most enjoyable scene was the rather cathartic one out in the field on the last day of work (you gotta watch it for yourself – then tell me what you think!).

It's not *that* outstanding a movie, and yet I bet you can SO relate to it... I dunno whether this is easily available even at your friendly neighbourhood VCD/DVD supplier. I suggest trolling around iMesh or other P2Ps for opportunities to download this movie… Take it from me: it’s worth the effort!

2 comments:

  1. OS is an "old" film kan..ke got updated version? i got it stashed somewhere in my vcd colection..i liked the part where he "killed" the printer or xerox machine..
    can relate to that..hate those damn machines which keep failing when you most need it at the office!!;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think it's from 1991 or something (that link to IMDB should have the release date). Hey.. that "killing" scene lah is the one I was referring to as my fave scene too! :p great minds? ;-) hmmmm ;-)

    ReplyDelete

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...