Wednesday, November 03, 2004

… and the winner is …

… and there you have it, L&G… Dubya wins it in a pretty close race, and continues as president of the u.s. of a for another term.

Quite a few of you would have received my panic sms at my 230am that indicated dubya (*) was lookin like the winner… at that time he was at 230-ish electoral votes while Kerry had barely reached the 200 mark… and already then it was known that Ohio was the decider, i.e. if Kerry got that state, he had a fighting chance… but if Bush got that, he was pretty much guaranteed the presidency… and at 230am it was “too close to call” but looked like it was going Bush’s way…

If nothing else, I had a slight thrill when I woke up, checked the status, and saw that they were BOTH at around 250 each, with Ohio still in the balance (Ohio would provide the 20 electoral votes needed for either one to become the next prez)… Reading on, with a sinking heart I saw that Ohio was essentially Bush’s but they were in the process of tallying up the provisional votes and absentee votes and whatnot. Oh well… And soon after that, Kerry conceded to Bush.

Considering the fiasco of the Florida recount in 2000, I think Kerry made a wise decision. Yes yes yes I am sure many will provide lots of political justifications / conspiracies / whatever about Kerry not doing what one would expect a typical American to do… but I’d like to believe that ultimately, his priority is not HIMSELF but THE COUNTRY. It is already a given that whoever it is that leads the U.S. for the next 4 years has a LONG way to go in healing this nation, and for the election to be marred yet again by controversy that would further divide an already divided nation… well that just helps no-one…

I must say I am disappointed by the results… I am disappointed in the many Americans who swallowed false propaganda and believed that Kerry had no proper plans on dealing with Iraq / Medicare… Perhaps Kerry should have really focused on addressing those accusations… because while many people were disenchanted with Bush, they weren’t going to simply vote for Kerry instead: they still had to be convinced that Kerry would be different from Bush. Sigh. Oh well…

So… with THAT out of the way… we’ll see what Dubya does, in both domestic and international aspects, for the next 4 years…

(check out some interesting reads here and here from Jeff Ooi's blog relating to this election)

(*) : NOTE : hey… for those who didn’t know who I was talking about when I referred to “dubya”… I apologise for any confusion I caused ya… but perhaps you may wanna consider expanding what your base of knowledge? Then again, I know I am one of those who just LOVES useless bits of trivia… :p

No comments:

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...