Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Booking through Tuesday

Stumbled across a book-related meme a while ago, but kept not participating... until now... this week features a series of simple questions, rather than the usual deep-thought-provoking one :)

What was the last book you bought?
Would you believe this is a tough one to answer? Thanks to the Chicago Public Library system, I've borrowed most of the books I've read for the past two years. In fact, technically the most recent book I paid for was Fiction Writer's Brainstormer by James V. Smith, for 50 cents donation, from the library's discard pile!

Name a book you have read MORE than once
So many! I'm the type who likes to reread books. But first and foremost is still The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
I didn't finish reading the book (but I did attend a management course that covered it), but Chapter One was more than enough to jolt me out of victimspeak. Stephen Covey's The & Habits of Highly Effective People.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews
A little bit of everything. I actually have a to-read list that's over 100 titles long that's been compiled mostly from reviews in newspapers or, more commonly, from online reviews I come across while blog surfing. *however* I usually don't have that list with me when I hit the library, so I end up hoping a book will jump out at me and say "read me! read me!!". In this case, the title needs to catch me first, then I read the cover blurb, and if it seems interesting, I'll take it. Have I mentioned how much I heart using a library?

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Most definitely FICTION, specifically fantasy. I read to escape, so I don't want to be reading "real" stuff, LoL!

What’s more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
This is a toughie. I appreciate any book of any genre that speaks in a different voice, brings forth a different perspective or just plain makes me think. I think style wins, but by a hair.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
This is another toughie. The tales stay with me more than specific characters. But I have to give a shout out to Roland Deschain, the last Gunslinger in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. "Good thing I **** left-handed" is seared into my mind, along with his reaction when getting his first taste of *sweet* soda. :) I don't think I'd like him in real life, but he makes for a great haunted protagonist.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
The previously-mentioned Fiction Writer's Brainstormer by James V. Smith - haven't actually touched it in a while though... :p So much for ma NaNo preparation!!

What was the last book you’ve read, and when was it?
The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe. And I finished it this morning about 3am - that's right, I *had* to get to the end of the tale. I really enjoyed it, and feel that if I were to get my own book out, it would read pretty much in the same style. It gives me hope :)

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Yes, a few times. Most memorable to me was Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - I just couldn't deal with the atrocities meted out to the Native Americans... I wanted to know, but I couldn't handle it. I probably still can't stomach it today.


If you'd like to read more, try this previous post from January 2006.

3 comments:

  1. It's rare that I give up a book halfway through. Usually, it is due to awful writing. I started reading a book I bought for $3 and hated the style and the main character! But then I got hooked and ended up reading all of the trilogy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words on my book, Lynne, and sorry to cost you so much sleep! Best of luck with your own writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim> yeah, it takes a lot for me to give up on a book too. Glad it turned out well for you :) Who was the author?

    Dannielo> hey thanks for the tip :)

    Alex> omg excuse me while I geek out a little! :) I actually am happy when I stumble across a book that keeps me glued even past any reasonable bedtime. I'm looking forward to more from you, and will work on a proper book review to share soon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...