Skip to main content

catching up!

update on the itchies and scratchies: Thanks for y'all's concern :) No, I have yet to call an allergist... didn't I mention procrastination is one of my middle names? Besides, the Benadryl was keeping me knocked out most of the week. We accidentally found out that the combination of Benadryl *and* Zyrtec seems to make a difference. The colony of welts that took root at the base of my neck is pretty much gone, yahoo! Still have uglies behind one ear, but at least I don't wake up and immediately start scratching at them! Yay! I'll take the dozing all day to driving myself nuts with the itching!!! Next week I'll pick up the phone and call the allergist, I promise!

paperwork blues: Thanks for the comments and questions on this post! I'll try to address them now:

Some asked why I needed to go through these hoops, and why it's so complicated. Well, at the risk of sounding defeatist, it's just how the system is. And I'm not dissing the system - I understand that it's been designed to have all these different steps, although it would be nice to have someone audit them and see if they can be reduced... At this time I just wish the instructions were better written!

What I'm going through is just to get a full-fledged Green Card. What I hold now is a conditional Green Card. Foreigners who marry U.S. Citizens are automatically granted PR status. However, due to a high incidence of marriage fraud, a 2-year probation period is put into play. So prove that during the first 2 years of your marriage you acted like a real married couple, then all is fine. But you must apply to get rid of the conditional status 90 days before the conditional status expires. If you don't, your PR is canceled and you need to get yet butt outta the country. Fun, eh?

To those who said affidavits are not required: Perhaps the information in the forums is a bit old? The most recent version of the form & instructions was released in August 2008 - I don't have an older version of the instructions for comparison, so I have no idea if things have changed much since even a year ago. All I can say is, we called the help line, and the guy said "yes"... so... better safe than sorry, eh? And a thank you to Elisette, but I don't think interactions via blogs would count for much in their eyes :p

How is this related to getting citizenship? It's not. Or rather, citizenship would be the next step for me, if I chose to pursue it. Right now I'll just take the PR, thank you! But in case you're curious, I *think* I would be eligible for citizenship in another year or so.

and no, the package is not ready yet. Still waiting to receive affidavit #2 (probably get it on Sunday). So next week it'll be on its way.

oh, and I thought up a complication about a technically expired PR and my needing to get to Malaysia to renew my passport. Aaaaaauuuggghhhhhhhh!! Will whine about it later, if it's a valid concern.

sigh.

okay go have a good weekend!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noritta Samsudin: Case closed? WTF?

I was amazed to read that Datuk Mustapha Abdullah, the city police chief considers the Noritta Samsudin murder case closed. (Click here and here for some articles)

Background
In July 2004, one En Hanif Basree Abd Rahman was acquitted and discharged by the court on the murder of Noritta. Of course, the months leading up to that ruling made for gross reading in the local newspapers… Early on I decided to just not read the papers, as it was obvious that the murder victim, who seems to have been a high-class callgirl, was the one being judged. I’m certain I did the right thing, for as time went by, more and more people started complaining about the level of detail being reported by the papers. Details about tears in the vagina, and age thereof seemed to be the focus of the court, rather than on the clients. Then again, from early on it was rumoured that many VIPs were among the victim’s “customers”, hence the blinkered focus on the victim rather than her clients. And the clients who…

BOH Seri Songket flavored teas

For many a year, boxes of BOH's Seri Songket flavored tea have served as handy buah tangans for relatives and friends in Switzerland and the USA, providing exotic teas in an exquisite bit of packaging. I'd not tasted any of these teas for myself, though, so this time around on my trip to Malaysia I made it a point to get me a few boxes of my own.

I picked three: Earl Grey with Tangerine; Passion Fruit; and Lime & Ginger; and have tasted two out of the three so far. According to Moomykin, the unlikely Lychee Rose combination is surprisingly good, so I'll grab that next time. Other flavors available in theory are Cinnamon; Clove & Cardamom; Mango; and Vanilla.

Review of the Seri Songket Passion Fruit flavored tea:
I've had this twice so far.

When you open the sachet, the smell/flavor is rather overpowering. But it all disappears when the teabag is steeped in hot water.

The first time, I used one bag to make 4 cups of tea. It seemed a touch watery, and tasted j…

It's been a while...

It's been so long.

Here's what's been going on. I had one kid, then another. Thing One / Nova was my first ever exposure to a kid. I'd never changed a diaper until he came along, and even then I deferred to the hubs or the NICU nurses before I forced myself to overcome that ?fear?.

He is my first. So I always wondered during tough times, was it just me? Or was it also him?

Turns out, it was us both.


He starts First Grade this August. He's currently being (re-)evaluated for an IEP (Individualised Education Plan). ADHD. ODD. ASD. SPD. The journey to these labels was a long one. And still ongoing because I don't think we have it quite right yet. But the labels help. I fought against getting labels. But now I seek them. Anything to help understand. Never in a million years would I have foreseen me medicating my kids. Yet here I am, seeking new meds, getting him a genetic test that should help identify which medications should help him, since the usual suspects see…