Monday, April 30, 2007

grumble grumble grumble!

Good news: yesterday I stumbled across a really nice and simple template which I've decided to use for this blog's next "look".

Grumble news: the back-up of existing posts is NOT going well!

Firstly, the Blog Collector (Lite) is such a bare-bones program it's actually extremely unappealing to use. And it only works "properly" on Kosh's side of the 'puter [his account, maybe because he's the administrator?] - on top of that, the "remove blog" or "refresh" commands could not be executed either! In addition, it only saves the posts, not the post page which includes comments. And worst of all... they say that the free/lite version has a limit to the number of posts per blog that it will back-up, but nowhere on the site did I find an actual number... if I'd known it was around 60 I wouldn't have even bothered with it! I have over SEVEN HUNDRED posts! And you know what, I ain't gonna shell out USD 70 to remove this limit when I'm not impressed with the program itself anyway!

Coming to that conclusion took a few hours, what with the downloading, installing, failed attempts to back-up from my side, backing-up from Kosh's side, etc etc etc... so then we looked at HTTrack, which unfortunately didn't have much going for it Mac-wise... if we were really adventurous we could try to play around with a Linus-based package for it, but well, we ain't gonna.

So... looks like it's gonna be manual back-ups for me! Gaaarrhhhh!!

So consider this blog to be on vacation this week: hopefully by this time next week she'll be revamped and ready to go again.

'till then,

ciao!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...