Friday, January 23, 2009

Fitness Friday: ~broken!~

Thursday afternoon I was multitasking on Kosh's laptop: looking around for plane tickets / dates for my impending trip back to KL next month (another postcard offer coming soon!) PLUS charging the iPod Shuffle which is what I've been using to keep me occupied while at the gym.

Rather than being stuck into the side like in the picture, the shuffle was attached to a USB hub, and was sticking out at me a little.


iPod Shuffle
Originally uploaded by strollers
And whaddaya know, I must have nudged the bugger while typing... because all of a sudden there was an error message, talking about how a device was attempted to be removed without properly ejecting it which may result in damage, loss of data, etc.

Crap.

Kosh spent a few hours trying to get the blasted thing to get recognised by his laptop, but to no avail. Moved to my PC, which recognised the thing, but couldn't do anything with it, due to I/O error of some sort. Downloaded some software that claimed to be able to fix things. Didn't work on the Mac. The PC version wasn't compatible with Vista.

So tomorrow, we are going to the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue. See if they can salvage it... or propose some sort of trade-in that's worth it. After all, this now-dead shuffle has a capacity of 512 MB or 120 songs -- utterly minuscule compared to what's available out there today!

I can survive half an hour on the treadmill without music, but now that I've upped the routine to one hour (I'll talk about that next week), having some tunes is vital something ideal. But I don't want us to shell out $$ unnecessarily. Not at this time. Not in our current situation. *sigh*


If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my feed,
and checking out my other blog: a malaysian abroad

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about that. Maybe it's time to upgrade. the new Shuffle is smaller and has a higher capacity but best of all, it's quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooops!

    I agree, the USB ports are not at the ideal places on most laptops. The best place is at the rear of the laptop but that means having to strain one's neck to get make connections.

    From your description, its probably unuseable as it must have had IC memory chip burnt by the abrupt nudge or the USB connector at the stick is no longer good.

    When are you coming to KL? I can courier you a free 8Gigabyte USB stick. It's FREE. Or ask one of my sons to drive over to where you are and hand it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne,

    Please read:

    http://dfoolonthehill.com/?p=1615

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gumstick Shuffle has the occasional recognition errors, too. But I've never had it lose data.

    But I should charge it. That might be a good thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were they able to fix it? I hope so! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister yanked the USB cord out of my nephew's iPod too hard and broke one of the little copper prongs. Apple wouldn't replace it, even though he'd only had it two months, because "misuse" wasn't covered by the warranty. They wouldn't trade it in either. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try using "Disk Utility" in your application/utilities folder on your mac. If you open up this app whilst your ishuffle is plugged in it should appear in the list of devices on the left hand side of the window (even if its not showing on the desktop). It will probably show up as a model number (rather then the ipod name). Try using this app to verify the disk and then repair any damaged permissions.
    This link might help... http://tinyurl.com/anwvw4

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my first camera used to be a problem with those error message and when you safely unplugg from the USB port.

    Sometimes, I think we're all just tooooooooo busy, trying to do to many things at one time. Maybe it's my age. lol

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lynne,

    You have to pick up an Award at http://dfoolonthehill.com/?p=1666

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...