Friday, January 30, 2009

Fitness Friday: my treadmill strategy

I used to hate the treadmill.

I hate to run.

It's totally different when I'm on a tennis court chasing after a ball, though.

But to just run (or in my case, jog) on a treadmill?

I'd rather reduce stress on my joints and do the elliptical instead.

Problem was, about a month ago, I was on the elliptical, and then just. didn't. want. to use it. anymore.

So how else was I going to get any pretense of cardio if not for the treadmill?

*sigh*

So I started out with walking for 30 mins.
Then I jazzed it up: 5 mins walk, 5 mins jog, for half an hour.
Then I extended it: 5 mins walk, 5 mins jog, for one hour.
Then I increased the duration: 5 mins walk, 10 mins jog, for one hour.
Then 15 mins jog (~3 "sets" in an hour)
Then 20 mins jog (~2 sets in an hour)

The walks are at the 3.0 (mph?) setting, and jogs at 3.5
I usually increase the jog rate to 4.0 and 4.5 right at the end, just before cooldown.

I had worked up to making more and more of the jog allocation to be at 4.0 speed.

Would be nice to say it's still the case... unfortunately things over these past two weeks have derailed me... and the last time I was there, my feet weren't happy with the jogging, so I switched back to the elliptical. Thankfully, I was able to use that machine without feeling like I was going to die of boredom.

Haven't hit the gym since Monday.

I do hope to get my hour's worth of workout today, sometime!!




If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my feed,
and checking out my other blog: a malaysian abroad

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha lynne,

    Talk about walking exercise. That saved me from Diabetes.

    I used to walk after every meal. I did that for more than 8 months and I lost about 20 pounds.

    Just normal walking around the block where I live.

    Keep going girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any workout is better than none! I wish I could go back and forth from the treadmill to the elliptical. That would be much easier on my joints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you wearing good running shoes when on the treadmill? Even if you spend $100 on a pair of *good* shoes now, it will save you lots of money on medical bills on down the road.

    It sounds like you've set up a pretty good plan - once you get back to it, you may be running more than walking soon! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...