Monday, December 07, 2009

25 days to 2010: Rachel Guerzo is "Just Friends"

I'm so proud of, and for, Rachel Guerzo! My junior from high school, Rachel always did have a great set of pipes and lungs on her, and over time has established herself as pretty much the female jazz vocalist in Kuala Lumpur. And now, Rachel is finally releasing her debut album entitled Just Friends.



Here's her official biography:
Born into Malaysia’s most influential music family the Solianos, pianist and singer Guerzo has emerged as one of the most exciting and innovative jazz musician in her own right, honing her craft and playing to discerning live audiences over the past two decades. Influenced by consummate performers such as Shirley Horn, Tania Maria, Diana Krall and Eliane Elias, she both learned from them and gradually discovered her own unique voice.

In addition to playing regularly with her father, saxophonist Salvador Guerzo, and her uncle, drummer Rizal Soliano, Rachel has worked with some very fine musicians such as Michael Veerapen, Steve Thornton, Valtinho Anastascio, Pascoal Mirelles, Lewis Pragasam and Farid Ali. She headlined the Sunrise Jazz & Rhythm Festival in 2007 and her début album will be released later this year. In April 2010 Rachel will make her debut at the prestigious Dewan Filharmonik PETRONAS as part of its Spotlight: Jazz series.

.
You know what, I might just make my way back to KL to catch her DFP performance next April! No kidding. I'll see what I can do to set those wheels in motion.

In the meantime... ... I've hunted high and low for a good vid to post of Rachel's live performances, to no avail: you can check them out for yourself here. Instead, I humbly ask you to click on through to Rachel's site on AMP (if it's down, try back later, k?). There you can listen to her covers of What are you doing the rest of your Life? and Only Trust your Heart. I hope you'll agree that's one amazing youg lady!

Hope you have a great week! (Mine started out white!)


If you liked this post, please consider grabbing the RSS feed
or subscribing via email. I'm on Twitter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...