Skip to main content

Chez Naranek's year-end newsletter

Life After Work be taking a blogging break until 2010 rolls around.

In the meantime, here is chez Naranek's first-ever year-end newsletter that we just sent out to those on our snail mail list, so *SPOILER ALERT* for those who (think they) are going to be receiving something from us, because I'm sharing it with my dear blog readers (including those who read this via Facebook!) ... just please excuse the [revised / redacted parts], k?

Names and locations have been changed to protect the not-too-innocent :)

= = =



= = =


Seasons Greetings from Springfield, IL!


The past several years have been quite tumultuous for [chez Naranek], and we have sorta lost touch with many of you – so we are caving-in and sending out our first attempt at a “year-end newsletter” to bring y’all up to speed and (re-) establish contact.

As many of you know, we have recently relocated after about three years in Chicago. [Kosh] had begun surgery residency at [a hospital in Chicago], while Lynne jumped through the hoops to establish permanent residency status, and started laying down roots with her meditation group, random language and pottery classes, and some volunteering. [Things were rather uncertain for a while there, but things worked out such that we are now in Springfield, and should be here for a few years]... That is, unless the world DOES end on December 21st 2012... :D

We celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary in September by completing our move from Chicago to Springfield (our second move in only 3 months!). We’re settling in to town now, and most of the boxes are emptied – although the d├ęcor is still predominantly dorm-chic. When we build up enough stamina for another move we’ll consider buying a place down here, but for now we are very happily renting a turn-of-the-century apartment in a historical neighborhood of Springfield. [Psycho kitty] is also settling in well – although she still hisses at the couple of outdoor cats that come peeking in our kitchen window.

Work has kept [Kosh] pretty busy, but thanks to Lynne’s twittering we have managed to meet up with a number of locals and experience some facets of Springfield, such as the local music scene and the Horseshoe. We look forward to exploring some other local interests like all things Lincoln, Route 66, and the Frank Lloyd Wright house. After the hustle and bustle of Chicago, we have found Springfield to be a pleasant change of pace.

We hope you all have a great year-end season, and send our very best wishes for Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Christmas, Ma’al Hijrah and/or any other holy-days you may (or may not) be celebrating at this time. Please keep in touch and let us know how y’all are doing! We are both available on Facebook, or you can read about our adventures on Lynne’s blog at azlynne1972.blogspot.com, while Kosh posts occasionally to [bleeeep!] – we’d be happy to “see” you there!

Best wishes for the New Year – have a great 2010!!

Kosh & Lynne Naranek



If you think you should be on the snail mail year-end list for 2010, please drop me a line, k? In the meantime, please celebrate safely and responsibly... See y'all on the flip side!

Comments

  1. If you're gonna redact, do it right, with big black blocks where text used to be. That leaves us wondering what was removed and piques curiosity. C'mon! Pique me!

    Merry Christmas or whatever you want to claim from your list to you two crazy Springfieldites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year 2010 to you and hubby! I'm glad we finally got to meet face-to-face in 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear legitimate commenters: all comments are welcome! My sincere apologies for making you go through the word verification hurdle, tho.

Dear spammers: please don't bother... I'm just gonna delete any spam that squeaks through word verification anyway, so why not save us both the trouble, eh?

Thanks!
*lynne*

Popular posts from this blog

Noritta Samsudin: Case closed? WTF?

I was amazed to read that Datuk Mustapha Abdullah, the city police chief considers the Noritta Samsudin murder case closed. (Click here and here for some articles)

Background
In July 2004, one En Hanif Basree Abd Rahman was acquitted and discharged by the court on the murder of Noritta. Of course, the months leading up to that ruling made for gross reading in the local newspapers… Early on I decided to just not read the papers, as it was obvious that the murder victim, who seems to have been a high-class callgirl, was the one being judged. I’m certain I did the right thing, for as time went by, more and more people started complaining about the level of detail being reported by the papers. Details about tears in the vagina, and age thereof seemed to be the focus of the court, rather than on the clients. Then again, from early on it was rumoured that many VIPs were among the victim’s “customers”, hence the blinkered focus on the victim rather than her clients. And the clients who…

BOH Seri Songket flavored teas

For many a year, boxes of BOH's Seri Songket flavored tea have served as handy buah tangans for relatives and friends in Switzerland and the USA, providing exotic teas in an exquisite bit of packaging. I'd not tasted any of these teas for myself, though, so this time around on my trip to Malaysia I made it a point to get me a few boxes of my own.

I picked three: Earl Grey with Tangerine; Passion Fruit; and Lime & Ginger; and have tasted two out of the three so far. According to Moomykin, the unlikely Lychee Rose combination is surprisingly good, so I'll grab that next time. Other flavors available in theory are Cinnamon; Clove & Cardamom; Mango; and Vanilla.

Review of the Seri Songket Passion Fruit flavored tea:
I've had this twice so far.

When you open the sachet, the smell/flavor is rather overpowering. But it all disappears when the teabag is steeped in hot water.

The first time, I used one bag to make 4 cups of tea. It seemed a touch watery, and tasted j…

It's been a while...

It's been so long.

Here's what's been going on. I had one kid, then another. Thing One / Nova was my first ever exposure to a kid. I'd never changed a diaper until he came along, and even then I deferred to the hubs or the NICU nurses before I forced myself to overcome that ?fear?.

He is my first. So I always wondered during tough times, was it just me? Or was it also him?

Turns out, it was us both.


He starts First Grade this August. He's currently being (re-)evaluated for an IEP (Individualised Education Plan). ADHD. ODD. ASD. SPD. The journey to these labels was a long one. And still ongoing because I don't think we have it quite right yet. But the labels help. I fought against getting labels. But now I seek them. Anything to help understand. Never in a million years would I have foreseen me medicating my kids. Yet here I am, seeking new meds, getting him a genetic test that should help identify which medications should help him, since the usual suspects see…