Monday, December 21, 2009

Springfield, IL: Land of the Horseshoe!


MS Office clip art
The weekend after Thanksgiving, a friend from college (you may remember some references to a KTN?) and her bf visited us here in Springfield. She had indicated they'd like to take us out for dinner, to a place that was typical of or uniquely Springfield.

I tapped the power of Twitter for ideas, and received a few great suggestions, which you can see in Springfield, IL: What's for dinner?; in the end we decided to go to D'Arcy's Pint for the horseshoe.

No, not the u-shaped metal that gets nailed to a horse's foot... the specialty of Springfield:
Above is what Kosh ordered: The Supreme Seasoned ground beef on Texas Toast, covered in french fries, smothered in spicy cheese sauce, with a sprinkling of tomatoes and scallions, and spicy tabasco-like dipping sauce on the side. I thought it was okay, but missing something (probably the bacon!). I totally loved mine, tho, which you can see below:
They all look the same, don't they? So take my word for it, the photo above is of The Gobbler, the Thanksgiving special comprising turkey on stuffing covered in french fries smothered in cheese sauce. Y. U. M. I opted for the ponyshoe (it's supposed to be half a horseshoe), can you even tell?
We both took half of our food home! It made for a good lunch the next day after Bloody Marys :)

I still wanted to have a breakfast horseshoe ... just add some eggs between the meat and fries, oh and switch the fries to hashbrowns... like so:
This is from yesterday's brunch at a local diner called Sunrise Cafe. I was talked into getting a full horseshoe by the waitress ("... it's only a dollar more for double the food... besides, you can take home what you can't finish!"), and totally anticipated taking home half again... but...
... I musta been hungry, because by the time we were done, our plates were empty (apart from the large glob of velveeta-like cheese that I couldn't bring myself to finish). Kosh had ordered a chicken fried steak with "American fries" (elsewhere I think they are called country potatoes?) and eggs with a side of pancakes. His plate looked like this:
All gone. ... ... we weren't even hungry for any food until almost 8 hours later. Gee, I wonder why??!! :p ... ... and with food like this, I think we're gong to have to keep an eye on this!:

The Scale by crossfire


Ugh.

Now please excuse me while I go find something else to eat, LoL! :)

If you liked this post, please consider subscribing to my feed
or subscribing via email. I'm on Twitter too!

1 comment:

  1. Better watch out for those extra poundage this holiday season, hehe. :-D

    Happy Holidays, Lynne! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...