Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I think I’ve earned some Harry Potter time!

Books read in the last few days:

1. Stardust: Neil Gaiman
Excellent Faerie Tale, or tale involving the Faerie, if you will. Reminiscent of Cecilia Dart-Thornton’s The Ill-Made Mute & the following two books of the Bitterbynde trilogy. A simple yet absorbing read. Highly recommended.

2. The Radioactive Boy Scout
Despite the books reading like an expose aired on Access Hollywood, it’s a distressing and disturbing read. Describes how a social misfit ends up contaminating his neighbourhood by building a nuclear breeder reactor thingy, discovered in 1995, in one of the suburbs of Detroit. Also gives a good background on the self-delusion practiced by scientists, politicians and commercial organizations in the early days of nuclear discovery. An interesting read, but like I said, when reading I could just picture how it would appear, almost verbatim, onscreen, soundbites and all!

3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter: Jeff Lindsay
Oh my, what a different novel! Dexter is a serial killer, working as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, who kills only bad guys. Turns out he was adopted by a cop, after some mysterious trauma in his (Dexter’s) childhood; and when Dexter started exhibiting signs of sociopathic behaviour, the cop/father ends up training Dexter to use his urges for ‘good.’ When we meet Dexter, he’s got over 35 kills under his belt already. Then another serial killer turns up in Miami, whose Modus Operandi ‘sings’ to Dexter, who seems to be asking Dexter to ‘come out and play.” Pretty screwed up tale, lemmie tell ya! Check it out! I’ll be looking out for more by this author, that’s for sure :-)

~
fyi, HP6 was in my hands on Saturday, but I’ve been really good about not consuming it all at once… I made it to pg 16, then stopped. And it’s now Tuesday! Gonna pick it up again after posting this… so … bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...