Friday, July 08, 2005

... of zombies and books...


Am looking out the window, seeing shingles fly down off of the roof.
Yesterday was the south side, today the north-facing roof.

Yeah, work's going on *finally* on re-roofing this apartment (after more than a year of random leaks in the closet area).

Got rudely awakened at 750am by the roofers, asking if one of the cars in the parking lot, where they were gonna be spreading the tarp to catch the shingles, was mine. Don’t think I was immediately coherent, but enough to convey ‘nope.’

Now there’s awful noises from above, scrapings and such, indicative of them doing their work.

Unfortunately that gives me no peace of mind to sleep, nor, for the second day in a row, to work out.

So took a hurried shower instead. And am zombie-ing online for a bit.

~~~
Not only am I zombied by the 750am wake-up, but also my the 330am sleeptime!
~~~

Why 330am? Well, I absolutely HAD to get to the end of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (JS&MN) last night, what can I say!? It’s certainly a welcome breath of fresh air in the world of fantasy, and the style is ah, so refreshing! The interaction between the two title characters, the mystery surrounding Lady Pole’s enchantment, the otherwordly gentleman with thistle-down hair, the kingly servant Stephen Black… plus all the footnotes with additional tales relating to the Raven King, adding even more flavour to an already fantastic tale. Mmmmmm! I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy a good read.

Next on my reading list: The Closers by Michael Connelly.
I first heard of this author when reading a review of his book “City of Bones,” and decided to check it out. Was ok lah, one of those types of set-up similar to Jonathan Kellarman’s child psychologist Alex Delaware novels, except that in this case it’s pretty much just this enigmatic L.A. cop vs the rest of the LAPD. My reading of this author would have stopped there, if not for my attempt of keeping sane during one of the worst parts of my work life, by burying myself in books. Having already picked the best off of the fantasy section, I turned to the ‘mystery/thriller’ section and ended up buying just about every book Connelly has ever written, this time starting from the earliest book, so I could see the character development of Harry Bosch (the cop lah). The most notable books are “The Poet” and its sequel of sorts, “The Narrows.”

ok... off to read now I suppose....

yawwwwwwwwwwnnnn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...