Sunday, April 24, 2005

Resumé ruminations

Ugh… It’s tough, creating a resumé almost from scratch…

At least it’s not totally from scratch… despite having my entire external drive wiped out by a cranky Mac laptop in the U.S., it turns out I did have a backup of most of the important files from Feb 2004. Yeah, that’s a long time ago, but it’s better than nothing!!!!

Why then do I consider current effort at resumé writing as something almost from scratch? Well, despite having worked for 9 years and having held 6 (or 8, depending how you look at it) different positions, resumés were not needed when transferring to another job! Here’s how many times I actually ‘tinkered’ with it:

1995:
created resumé for numerous job applications upon graduating in May 1995. Continued to tinker a bit in late 1995/early 1996 despite already being employed (I wanted out, what can I say….)

1997:
revisited (needed to add descriptions of the THREE different jobs I’d already been in), for a possible marketing post in a new joint-venture (didn’t happen).

2002:
provided information in a different format/template provided by McK upon starting that fateful ‘Study’.


What I need to do:
Add the three most recent positions held (Business Planner, Team Member in that Study, Team Member in the implementation of the Study recommendations).
Rewrite everything so that I describe my achievements, skills developed and level of proficiency, etc rather than just listing responsibilities.
Reformat to keep up with the times (related to the rewriting too)
Work on an attention-grabbing cover letter.

Why, you ask, am I bothering to do this if I don’t intend to work anytime soon?

Firstly, I need to do this while everything is relatively fresh lah!!
Secondly, there are two opportunities I’d like to explore a bit more before I decide yea or nay, and I feel I can’t even ‘open negotiations’ unless I at least have a resumé to pass on! One is related to a Management Consultant type of facilitator type thing, while the other is an IT-related consultant type thing (yes, I am being vague on purpose!).
Thirdly, once I do get around to applying for grad school, they will also be needing to see what I’ve done, so I might as well get it done now, and touch up later rather than do it all at once together with sitting for the GRE/GMAT and jumping through whatever hoops needed in the application process.

Wish me (good) luck!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...