Wednesday, November 02, 2005

will you look at yoghurt the same way again?

Did you hear about a recent recommendation by Mark Spigelman of the University College London Centre for Infectious Diseases and International Health?

Rather than upping the "power" of antibacterial soaps (which actually encourage the mutation of bacteria into more and more resistant strains), he suggests washing hands with yoghurt instead.

The reason? "crowd" your skin with neutral/good bacteria so that "bad" bacteria doesn't settle there, rather than trying to kill all bacteria on your hands and in actuality opening up your skin to be inhabited by the "bad" bacteria.

I'm thinking the hospitals can have fun with this,,, each day is a different flavour of yoghurt used: I thought today was monday but my yoghurt wash is blueberry flavoured so it must be Thursday! Where *has* the time flown?

What will be next: yoghurt as a poultice on wounds?

~~
I heard about this on the news yesterday, but surprisingly haven't found much on the net yet, except for articles in the medical-related areas like THIS, THIS and THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...