Skip to main content

we tend to see the forest and forget the trees

Everyone knows what today is.

The 5th year anniversary of 9/11.

Please, take a step back and spare a minute or two just to meditate on how the world changed 5 years ago.

In some cases, for the better - but in most cases, things changed for the worse.
With the time difference and all, events were unfolding on Sept 11th 2001 at night in Malaysia - I remember getting a call from my then-bf saying to "... quickly turn on the tv, World War 3 has started!" and I was then among the many who were watching the tv screen, scarcely believing that what was onscreen was happening in real life and not some horridly realistic special effect of some tv show.
Even worse: at that time, KTN and CLB were in a train from Singapore to KL. They had finally managed to coordinate their schedules to come visit me over at my side of the world, 6 years after we graduated from U of I together. During their overnight journey, they knew "something" had happened, but news in the train was scarce.

Upon their arrival at the train station early morning on Sept 12th [Malaysian time], I made sure we did the happy greetings first before breaking the news to them, and handing over the local newspapers so they would know what had happened.

Being the messenger - THAT is my memory of 9/11.

And the fact that on Sept 12th, around 9am, the PETRONAS Twin Towers were evacuated due to some prank bomb threat. I don't think they ever found who was behind that prank. Pity. Because people like that prankster? They need to be filtered out of the gene pool sooner rather than later.

Anyways...

Before signing off for today, I would like to highlight the 2996 project, established by D. C. Roe, to pay tribute to the victims of 9/11. Please explore the list of tributes here. [have tissues handy]
A whole forest of people died five years ago today - please take the time to *see* the trees that make up the forest.


Peace.

Comments

  1. Interesting to read how it affected those outside the US. You never really read that much about it. At least not here in the states.

    He did mean World War 3, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. kev> yup, WW3! thanx, have corrected the post now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quote.

    I've been reading tributes all day. I don't think I can handle any more - some are really difficult to get through without your eyes welling up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 911 was a nice thing to remember or commemorate. We should get forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanakin> thanx, that's my own quote :-) of course I'm sure many others have come up with a similar thing independently. But hey, I got props, whoohoo :-)

    Mav> get forward? well, I dunno, looks like things are moving backwards rather than forward, unfortunately :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did!!

    You know I watched Oprah one day, and they talked about that they thought that every other country in the world must have forgotten about 9/11. We have not! I think about it every day, and have since it happened. So we have not forgotten, not me and the people I surround myself with anyways...

    Hugs Eilen xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear legitimate commenters: all comments are welcome! My sincere apologies for making you go through the word verification hurdle, tho.

Dear spammers: please don't bother... I'm just gonna delete any spam that squeaks through word verification anyway, so why not save us both the trouble, eh?

Thanks!
*lynne*

Popular posts from this blog

Noritta Samsudin: Case closed? WTF?

I was amazed to read that Datuk Mustapha Abdullah, the city police chief considers the Noritta Samsudin murder case closed. (Click here and here for some articles)

Background
In July 2004, one En Hanif Basree Abd Rahman was acquitted and discharged by the court on the murder of Noritta. Of course, the months leading up to that ruling made for gross reading in the local newspapers… Early on I decided to just not read the papers, as it was obvious that the murder victim, who seems to have been a high-class callgirl, was the one being judged. I’m certain I did the right thing, for as time went by, more and more people started complaining about the level of detail being reported by the papers. Details about tears in the vagina, and age thereof seemed to be the focus of the court, rather than on the clients. Then again, from early on it was rumoured that many VIPs were among the victim’s “customers”, hence the blinkered focus on the victim rather than her clients. And the clients who…

BOH Seri Songket flavored teas

For many a year, boxes of BOH's Seri Songket flavored tea have served as handy buah tangans for relatives and friends in Switzerland and the USA, providing exotic teas in an exquisite bit of packaging. I'd not tasted any of these teas for myself, though, so this time around on my trip to Malaysia I made it a point to get me a few boxes of my own.

I picked three: Earl Grey with Tangerine; Passion Fruit; and Lime & Ginger; and have tasted two out of the three so far. According to Moomykin, the unlikely Lychee Rose combination is surprisingly good, so I'll grab that next time. Other flavors available in theory are Cinnamon; Clove & Cardamom; Mango; and Vanilla.

Review of the Seri Songket Passion Fruit flavored tea:
I've had this twice so far.

When you open the sachet, the smell/flavor is rather overpowering. But it all disappears when the teabag is steeped in hot water.

The first time, I used one bag to make 4 cups of tea. It seemed a touch watery, and tasted j…

It's been a while...

It's been so long.

Here's what's been going on. I had one kid, then another. Thing One / Nova was my first ever exposure to a kid. I'd never changed a diaper until he came along, and even then I deferred to the hubs or the NICU nurses before I forced myself to overcome that ?fear?.

He is my first. So I always wondered during tough times, was it just me? Or was it also him?

Turns out, it was us both.


He starts First Grade this August. He's currently being (re-)evaluated for an IEP (Individualised Education Plan). ADHD. ODD. ASD. SPD. The journey to these labels was a long one. And still ongoing because I don't think we have it quite right yet. But the labels help. I fought against getting labels. But now I seek them. Anything to help understand. Never in a million years would I have foreseen me medicating my kids. Yet here I am, seeking new meds, getting him a genetic test that should help identify which medications should help him, since the usual suspects see…