Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Currently reading...

1. Knife of Dreams : Book 11 of the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan
FINALLY, after so long, not only is the book out, but the plot seems to be moving!

Yeah, Robert Jordan has been accussed of milking his fans for all they've got. I agree. The last 5 books or so of the series were really crap. How much of it was RJ being overambitious vs "wanting to drag it out"? I wonder. But whatever it is, this book is the best he's written in a long long long time!

I'm only about halfway through it. And it's already overdue (borrowed from library maaaah). Tried to renew it, but can't because it's already been requested by someone else (they probably have quite a long list of requests - sorry y'all, the tale is not enthralling enough that I'm devouring it 24/7! But i *will* try to have it done by the time I'm back in Urbana this weekend, ok? I'll even have it in my carry-on bag so I can read it while hanging around in DFW on Thursday!).

Without spoilers, lemmie just say it seems like there might be resolution (or at least LOTS of progress) in the sub-plots involving Mat & Tuon; Perrin's rescue of Faile who is a prisoner of the Shaido, while she too is plotting her own escape; Egwene trying to establish herself as the true Amyrlin Seat. Rand himself? So far there's been one chapter about him, that's it. Hmmmph. And with that small metion was shared mentions of Logain and Mazrim Taim. May only resolve THAT storyline of males vying for dominance in the next book.

next book? Yeah. i have the impression that Book #12 will be the FINAL book. Excluding a few prequels lah. Yes, drag it out, RJ, drag it out....
2. Confessions of a Deathmaiden, by Ruth Francisco
Just as a midwife assists with the passage of a baby into the world of the living, deathmaidens assist with the passage into the next reality.

I was intrigued by this concept, and the plot on the back cover didn't seem half bad.

Turns out this is the debut novel of Ms Francisco: and it shows. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's definitely readable, but, well, I think she needs some polishing and tightening up in terms of style and plotlines respectively. The choice of very short chapters, a simple first-person narration, and lots of flashbacks to fill in on the past of the main character, all combine to give the book a unique flavour.

Am only halfway thru this one too (yes, reading two books at once...), hopefully it doesn't fade away the closer i get to the end!
And coming soon: November 8th: George R R Martin's A Feast for Crows. If you were thinking of getting down and dirty and sink your teeth into a good fantasy series, pick this one. Of course, it ain't over yet. Still another three to go (I think it's a 7-book plan). Hopefully he doesn't go the way of RJ the milker lah :p I'm really looking forward to this book.

Another one I keep forgetting to place a request for: Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. It's not so much a sequel to American Gods (which you MUST read, btw!) as perhaps a spin-off: from what I understand, it's about the sons Mr Nancy, one of the gods Shadow meets in American Gods.

Yeah, that's about it, book-wise. Should keep me occupied for a little bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...