Thursday, October 13, 2005

... of cripsy axes, duck tape, and other mispronunciations

... exploring the yourdictionary.com's site a little more, I came across another entertaining page: a list of the 100 most mispronounced words & phrases in English

Mispronouncing Arctic and Antarctic as Artic and Antartic would be common for Malaysians, cos as far as I remember, that's how we were taught to say it in school...

I LOL'd seeing a blessing in disguise being commonly mispronounced as a blessing in the skies .. it kinda makes sense, I suppose, but. it's. just. not. "right" :p
haahaha that reminds me.... a similar mis-heard lyric... Elvis' "You're the devil in disguise" is oftentimes mis-said as "You're the devil in the sky"!!
(Actually there are LOTS of mispronounced song lyrics, will try to get a list of them in an article soon)

First I ever heard chest of drawers referred to as chester drawers I thought CB was referring to specific piece of furniture with drawers... turns out she was perpetuating a common pronunciation mistake... and she didn't believe me when I pointed it out... I bet she's still mispronouncing it even now! :-)

When watching MacGyver, drooling over the then-yummy Richard Dean Anderson, us Malaysians were really puzzled about that ubuquitous duck tape he used all the time... Heck, I even "figured out" that it was a brand name, and that they were sold in rolls with a picture of a duck on it! Tee hee!! Turns out it was DUCT tape! I'll always have to double check myself when I say it tho, cos my default will be to say duck tape.

~~~

A major "take-away" from the book Forrest Gump (NOT the movie!!) was the use of "axe" instead of "ask" ... i so liked it I used it for quite a while after having read the book :-)

~~~

And something I just could NOT break some people of the habit... the word CRISP ... they would just keep saying CRIPS ... craps did that annoy me! I'd diplomatically correct them by paraphrasing what they said plus say "crisp" correctly, only to have the person nod and say "yes, exactly, we need [the delivery / whatever] to be crips." Aarrgh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...