Tuesday, January 31, 2006

... moans & groans: trekking after stars, & related matters

I know I keep saying that I don’t consider myself a Trekker (the term preferred by the group of people usually referred to as “Trekkies”), but I certainly am a sci-fi fan.

And unless I get into Stargate SG-1, or Stargate Atlantis, or Farscape, there really isn’t much on regular tv to go on. Unless we subscribe to the extended package, we are not going to get the Sci-Fi Channel, or Spike TV (which seems to have lots of ST:TNG at certain times). This helps “justify” the purchase and watchage of my Babylon 5 DVDs, btw.

But I was all excited late last year when I thought Star Trek: Enterprise was going to be rerun starting from the absolute beginning … and was deeply disappointed when it turned out they just played the pilot episodes, then kept playing the more “critically-acclaimed” episodes, mostly from the final season, which I’ve seen numerous times. Bah.

THEN, about two weeks ago, Kosh was channel surfing while I was in the other room, when he called out excitedly “Hey!! Star Trek!!!!”

Turns out this video game channel (g4tv) musta recently started playing pretty early ST:TNG: two episodes 7pm – 9pm, and another at midnight. THREE HOURS OF TNG!! A DAY!!

Of course, these are not shown in order – you have Dr Pulaski in one episode, and the next one has Dr Crusher. In one Wesley is just visiting, in another he’s acting ensign. In some Tasha Yar is still alive and head of security. Riker has a beard, sometimes not.

… But it’s *so good* to see Picard again!! I really like his voice: maybe it’s the Shakespearean training he had prior to landing the role of Picard, but my oh my does it sound good! My fave phrase of his: “make it so”.

Anyways… very quickly Kosh and I had to agree NOT to tape these shows – if we caught them while they were airing, that was good, but if we made it a point to tape/catch all of them, that would be 3 hours a day spent just on Star Trek! And as much as we’d like that,,, well,,, those three hours would really eat into our “real life” time…

… tho right now I’m wondering if we (I??) should just go ahead and tape ‘em anyway for my sci-fi fix… cos that ^#%*(@# cheapo free DVD player is just refusing to accept Bab 5 Season 3 Disc 6! Only two more episodes for that season… yes, I’ve already seem them, but I’m in the process of re-watching them in order to get back to where we left-off (exactly when the Vorlons & Shadows were politely asked to leave the galaxy alone: Season 4 Ep 7?), and continuing from there… preferably finishing Season 4 before I head back to KL.

… and if we *do* get the friggin thing to work, we are going to have to give priority to the borrowed DVDs from the library: Kosh wanted to see the origins of Smallville, and the start of all that cave & stones mumbo-jumbo, so we’ve got Smallville Season One (two discs watched, four to go…); Then I’ve got Buffy Season 4 which I should be able to pick up from the library within the next day or two. We may even squeeze Buffy Season 5 since we also have that from the library. Plus the four Christopher Reeve Superman movies we want to re-watch – partly because of Smallville, partly because of the new movie coming out this year….

Of course, we could just watch via puter/TV hookup.

But that would be too easy. We’ve got a DVD player, so we should be able to use it, dammit! ;p

…but time *is* kinda running out… so much to watch, so little time…!!

Aaarrrgggghhhh!

Oooh, wait – it’s almost midnight!
Maybe I’ll post this then go switch the tv to G4TV and catch another ST:TNG!??

Muuaaahaaahahahahaaaaahahah!

P/s: is it just me, or is it really great to see Chekov (Walter Koenig) in Bab 5 as the Psi Cop baddie Bester?

(pps: I *hate* dialup!! Or is it blogger too??? It took me over 20 mins to get hooked up, load and login to blogger, and post this friggin thing!! it's already "tomorrow"!! ST:TNG already started! Grrrrrrrrrrr!)

1 comment:

  1. no, wireless DSL is the rare treat when we go visit Kosh's sis' place. Here at the apartment at "home" it's friggin dial-up :p

    thanx for the ST quiz btw - I scored very low, LOL! It's been way too long since I watched any DS9 or VOY so I couldn't answer any of those questions!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...