Saturday, January 14, 2006

Starting the new year with Omens?

Hey, I just realised that yesterday was Friday the Thirteenth!

And on a related note:

A few weeks ago, it suddenly occurred to me that I wanted to see the Omen / Damien movies. I'd seen at least two of them, a long time ago... on Malaysian TV... so can you say terribly interrupted by commercials AND butchered by the censors?

Thinking back, I wonder how the movies were even ALLOWED to be aired in Malaysia...

Aaaanyways... so we got The Omen (1976) from the library. I hardly remembered ANY of it! And I really doubt the decapitation scene made it to Malaysian screens! Oh, and the early part of the film, with the birthday party for Damien - I somehow pictured a similar scene in Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Didn't quite like that book (I think I'm not into Prachett's style too much?), but I may just refresh my memory, since I've got that birthday scene in my head :p

I recognised a lot more scenes from The Omen II: Damien (1978): I thought the "death by crow" scene was actually "death by crowS" - but I can see why I might have been slightly freaked out by it... There was another death scene in the elevator, where a doctor gets sliced in half - pretty good effects for that time, I think. That was DEFINITELY not shown in Malaysia!

We just watched The Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981) a few days ago. Oh my... they should have stopped at #2! What a lame plot! What a total lameass ending!

But wait, it's not over!!! Did you know that there's an Omen IV: The Awakening (1991) out there??? Okay, so it was a made-for-TV thing, not a proper movie. And it sounds even lamer than #3. I think we'll stop at #3 and not subject ourselves to anymore... :p

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the music was good too - didn't understand a word of it cos it was Latin, but it was amusing too cos I could have sworn I heard them singing about "platypus" teehee

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...