Skip to main content

...yet another muddying of waters...

The world in general has no real idea of what Islam is.

I don't claim to be an expert, oh no, not me, but still... the actions of those terrorists who claim to be fighting for the cause of Islam are really *not* helping with the stereotype and misinformation and misunderstanding...

So I'm not surprised when I read about some Danish caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that have the Muslim community all riled up.

That the cartoons were concieved and published shows a deep ignorance a few Danes had of how highly-regarded the Prophet is by Muslims.

I do think they should have known better than to publish a cartoon that depicts the prophet as a terrorist with a bomb in his "turban".

But, again... am I really surprised? no.

hello, Muslim world -- that such a faux pas would occur in this day and age, when we should be showing the world what Islam really is all about (i.e. NOT that terrorist bullcrap), is a failing on all of us too.

Don't just hit out at the ignorant "Westerners". What have you been doing to educate them, to provide an alternate view of the religion, one that is not supplied by the extremist terrorist whatever-ist organisations, that is eagerly reported and propagated by the media all over the world to further some nations' agendas??

Then the Danes hide behind the excuse of "free speech";
... the media focusses on Muslims hurling ridiculous pro-Zionist accusations, torching Embassies & burning flags;

... people start picking sides ... (btw, I wonder how many have actually *seen* the 'toons for themselves....)

aaaaaaand everyone pretty much stays stuck in their respective ruts.

yay.

*sigh*

Haven't seen the 'toons? Try HERE.

Other reading material:
1. MWU's "What Would Prophet Muhammad Have Done?"
2. Basque News & Information "U.S. backs Muslims in caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad dispute"
3. The Times Online "What price must be paid for free speech?"
4. ridiculopathy.com "Muslims Outraged Over Blasphemous Garfield Cartoon" (Not to be taken seriously)

Comments

  1. I have noticed that Asians are more tolerant when it comes to other religion. And they could live side by side in racial and religious harmony better than the Westerners. I have Muslim friends, even back in University who would at times go out with me and get blasted (yeah, they were THAT progressive) and we'd have quite a good time actually.

    All this religious differences is driving me nuts, really. No wonder Mao Tze Tung once said that religion is the opium of the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I think both sides are wrong. The press for essentially taunting Muslims and the Muslim community for reacting violently.

    I know very little about any other religions, I've done some basic background reading, but really, I'm not that interested. My religion is my business and yours is yours.

    Is that too disinterested of me? Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. elisette: maybe it's sad, but actually i'd prefer disinterest... so much better than having wars because two or more parties are convinced that theirs is the one and only right path.

    SnglGuy: I feel most people are so hung up on the difference between religions that they overlook the similarities. And even worse... so many people do not actually know their religions well, so they can't actually have such "intelligent" conversations about such comparisons...

    the world is in a sad sad state of affairs...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear legitimate commenters: all comments are welcome! My sincere apologies for making you go through the word verification hurdle, tho.

Dear spammers: please don't bother... I'm just gonna delete any spam that squeaks through word verification anyway, so why not save us both the trouble, eh?

Thanks!
*lynne*

Popular posts from this blog

Noritta Samsudin: Case closed? WTF?

I was amazed to read that Datuk Mustapha Abdullah, the city police chief considers the Noritta Samsudin murder case closed. (Click here and here for some articles)

Background
In July 2004, one En Hanif Basree Abd Rahman was acquitted and discharged by the court on the murder of Noritta. Of course, the months leading up to that ruling made for gross reading in the local newspapers… Early on I decided to just not read the papers, as it was obvious that the murder victim, who seems to have been a high-class callgirl, was the one being judged. I’m certain I did the right thing, for as time went by, more and more people started complaining about the level of detail being reported by the papers. Details about tears in the vagina, and age thereof seemed to be the focus of the court, rather than on the clients. Then again, from early on it was rumoured that many VIPs were among the victim’s “customers”, hence the blinkered focus on the victim rather than her clients. And the clients who…

BOH Seri Songket flavored teas

For many a year, boxes of BOH's Seri Songket flavored tea have served as handy buah tangans for relatives and friends in Switzerland and the USA, providing exotic teas in an exquisite bit of packaging. I'd not tasted any of these teas for myself, though, so this time around on my trip to Malaysia I made it a point to get me a few boxes of my own.

I picked three: Earl Grey with Tangerine; Passion Fruit; and Lime & Ginger; and have tasted two out of the three so far. According to Moomykin, the unlikely Lychee Rose combination is surprisingly good, so I'll grab that next time. Other flavors available in theory are Cinnamon; Clove & Cardamom; Mango; and Vanilla.

Review of the Seri Songket Passion Fruit flavored tea:
I've had this twice so far.

When you open the sachet, the smell/flavor is rather overpowering. But it all disappears when the teabag is steeped in hot water.

The first time, I used one bag to make 4 cups of tea. It seemed a touch watery, and tasted j…

It's been a while...

It's been so long.

Here's what's been going on. I had one kid, then another. Thing One / Nova was my first ever exposure to a kid. I'd never changed a diaper until he came along, and even then I deferred to the hubs or the NICU nurses before I forced myself to overcome that ?fear?.

He is my first. So I always wondered during tough times, was it just me? Or was it also him?

Turns out, it was us both.


He starts First Grade this August. He's currently being (re-)evaluated for an IEP (Individualised Education Plan). ADHD. ODD. ASD. SPD. The journey to these labels was a long one. And still ongoing because I don't think we have it quite right yet. But the labels help. I fought against getting labels. But now I seek them. Anything to help understand. Never in a million years would I have foreseen me medicating my kids. Yet here I am, seeking new meds, getting him a genetic test that should help identify which medications should help him, since the usual suspects see…