Tuesday, April 25, 2006

a blast from the past!

As "rebellious" as I was during my teenage years, I was still in many aspects a goody-two-shoes. Yet even a goody-two-shoes like *me* is strangely exhilarated by the news that Picadilly is seeking feedback as to whether there is enough demand for it to reopen.

Yes, Picadilly.

Or "picad" for short.

It was an icon of my time... but can you believe I've only been there ONCE?

Gawd, I was so "closeted" (read: controlled? protected? whatevah) that I missed out on a lot of stupid stuff Malaysian teenagers get into.

I don't hold it against my parents at all, I know they had my safety in mind, but sometimes I *wish* I'd been allowed just. a. bit. more. slack. and. freedom.

Occasionally I'd manage to bargain my way out to spend time with friends and do teenage stuff. Like my ONE trip to Picad. For a tea dance.

Yes, a tea dance.

... does THAT term bring back a flood of memories for ya?

    For those who are not familiar with the term: some discos would open on Saturday afternoons (tea time!), and target teenagers who wouldn't legally be able to get in at night. No acheyhol served. Just music and soda. Why not: get them hooked to the scene while still young!! :p

My vague recollection of the place is "big" "spacious" "pink & purple disco lights". Can't recall the music, I suppose it was the (then current) 80's dance music lah :p I'm not one for much dancing, what with being extremely self conscious and all, but I will get down on the dance floor and move around if I've got the gang and the mood: usually I'm more of a watcher :D I'll assume I hit the dance floor. I really have no idea.

The only thing i *do* remember clearly is one of my friends (a regular Picad-goer) saying "come on, let's check out the couples "berprojek" (making out)!" and she dragged me upstairs, and sure enough behind the screen there was a passageway to the other side: it was dark, and populated by numerous couples entangled with each other! I musta accidentally stepped on a few feet and elbowed a few ribs in the dark, hope I didn't distract them too much from their, errr, activities, giggled "sorry!" and desperately headed for the light at the end of the tunnel, LOL!

Ah yes, those silly teenage years :-)

So.. Would I check it out if it reopens? Probably :-)

Wonder if they'd be a "retro" type place playing tunes from their heydays of the 80's/90's, or if they'd be "just" another club?

p/s funny how such establishments are now "clubs", no more "discos" :)

8 comments:

  1. because now it's "in da club"

    last time it was "D.I.S.C.O"

    hehe...

    But I don't think the clubs are going to make money since side entertainment and booze can be found elsewhere liao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I have been transported back in time! ;)

    I think it would be fun to go to a disco... rather than what a "club" is now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are discos still alive? I thought they went extinct like the dinosaurs... LOL! :D

    Seriously though, when I was a teenager in the 70's, a lot of my friends would frequent these 'Discoteques', as they were popularly called then, during the weekends and party all night.

    I never liked hanging out in those places, it's probably because I can't dance, hahaha. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the younger set laugh when i say "disco". i've been to picad once too, and i've been embarassed to admit that before today.

    thanks for bringing me out of the closet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh btw, you've been tagged again. Check out my post tomorrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ari> i've always preferred to do drinking in the safe confines of home - no need to drive etc, anyways :-)

    kilax> actually I dunno if I could confidently say I could tell the difference between a disco and a club :p maybe the size of the dance floor?

    SG> i hear ya :p btw "discotheque" was always an iffy term here... sounds too much like "this [malay name for male genitalia]" LMAO

    Oreos> haahahaha you're very welcome :-) maybe i'll see u at Picad's opening? LMAO!!!

    maverick> errrr, sure... let's see leadership by example first, shall we? :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gawd.. picad,,pheww..IT IS a blast from the past...to go there i told my parents that m goin for a party at a fren place, many times..well obviously not an obedient daughter..and i just love 'back to life' till now..and there i hehe smooch hehe my 'bf' da first time hehe and his my neighbour 'ewww'.. and now m grinning away...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...