Saturday, April 29, 2006

You sure it's Ethanol and not Methanol in there?

Saw these unknown brands of vodka on sale in one of the Giant supermarkets a while back.

I really don't know what a decent (i.e. Smirnoff / Absolut) bottle of vodka costs here, but I do know that the sin taxes have been upped quite often over the past few years.

I would assume one would expect to pay close to RM100?

Guess how much 750 mL bottles are going for?

RM20 - 30 (USD 5 - 8)!

Wow... either my estimate of the cost of "decent" booze is waaaay off (in that case, excuse me while I make a trip to the, err, store...), or, well, let's just say I wonder how "safe" these unknown brands are...

4 comments:

  1. Sin taxes or not, the government can't stop people from enjoying the simple joys in life... like getting totally pissed drunk. LOL! :-D

    Have a great week ahead, lynne.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those liquor that comes cheap are locally made and adultrated.

    Good liquor never comes cheap, particularly with the sin tax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always a friend going overseas whom you can get to grab a bottle from the tax free shops at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SG> cheers! :-)

    Maverick> i can't help but wonder if that's a Freudian slip: adultrated as opposed to adulterated? heehehehe!

    Adam> Tu lah, when I got back in February, I thought I'd "be good" so I didn't take advantage of the duty free stuff. Now i'm kicking myself :p I dunno of anyone personally right now who's travelling that I can tumpang sekaki tho...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...