Skip to main content

Continuing the series on KL's public transport system

First, I wrote about the LRT,

Then, the 1 hr wait for the KTM Komuter at Mid Valley

Now: the MONORAIL and KL Sentral.

First: the usual case lah in Malaysia - the infrastructure is so badly planned... no forward thinking town planner, or perhaps none with the vision, or probably the authority, to ensure a truly integrated public transport system.

Hence, the two separate LRT lines don't really "interact" : the "interchange" between what were the STAR and PUTRA lines involves walking out onto the street then back into the "system".

So, at KL Sentral, the "Central Station" of KL, the monorail starts/ends there.

BUT unless you REALLY look out for signs for it, you are not gonna find your way to the monorail.

To get to the monorail station, you need to head out to Brickfields (Jalan Tun Sambanthan).

From this sign, you see NO indication for the monorail.

In fact, even the sign indicating the "exit to Jalan Tun Sambanthan" seems to be a later add-on right?


But trust me, this is the right direction!

If you just keep walking in that direction, just at the end of the building, you might just see this dinky little sign:

So, take the stairs down, then either cross the parking lot, or if you already know the way from another visit, you can walk through a covered bazaar type place.

Wait for the pedestrian light to turn green.

Cross the road.

THEN you are at the monorail station.

Silly, eh?

Btw, this is the view from the monorail station, loking at KL Sentral.

Anyways... so the trip itself was pretty nice.

What I was proud to see was people unhesitatingly giving up their seats for blind/sight-impaired people. I was standing anyways, or I'd have done it too.

The only real drawback I could see (or NOT see, as the case may be), is that they plastered advertisements across the windows, so I couldn't enjoy the view from the traincar!

That's a shame, isn't it?

I suppose the monorail operator wants all the advertising revenue it can get... and whoever thought up the idea of plastering the windows should be shot. I acknowledge it *is* a brilliant idea. But it's also totally invasive and annoying.

Comments

  1. Yes, the very first time I rode the MonoRail was also from Sentral. Had to ask a few eople where the MonoRail station was as there were absolutely NO signs and I was expecting it somehow to be integrated to Sentral (very naive of me, I admit).
    The bazaar is there again? When I was back in January, it was deserted, no bazaar at all.
    One thing they had at the "cowded" stations (Sungei Wang, BTS, were "jagas" who would get people to line up and stop the people from cramming into the train when it was obviously full.
    Great blog on the KL transport system. Your articles can be used as a yardstick to IF the BN government lives up to its promise to "imprive public transport".
    Which reminds me, when a review on taxis and busses? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i didn't see any "jagas" - likely cos I was traveling on a Sunday, so the crowd wasn't too bad at all...

    taxis - waaaaay too expensive loh! nuff said :p

    busses - maaaaybe,,, now that the "15 city shuttle" busses are RM2 all day, I could just explore the routes... see lah how :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. And i thought that public transport here sucks.... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Dear legitimate commenters: all comments are welcome! My sincere apologies for making you go through the word verification hurdle, tho.

Dear spammers: please don't bother... I'm just gonna delete any spam that squeaks through word verification anyway, so why not save us both the trouble, eh?

Thanks!
*lynne*

Popular posts from this blog

Noritta Samsudin: Case closed? WTF?

I was amazed to read that Datuk Mustapha Abdullah, the city police chief considers the Noritta Samsudin murder case closed. (Click here and here for some articles)

Background
In July 2004, one En Hanif Basree Abd Rahman was acquitted and discharged by the court on the murder of Noritta. Of course, the months leading up to that ruling made for gross reading in the local newspapers… Early on I decided to just not read the papers, as it was obvious that the murder victim, who seems to have been a high-class callgirl, was the one being judged. I’m certain I did the right thing, for as time went by, more and more people started complaining about the level of detail being reported by the papers. Details about tears in the vagina, and age thereof seemed to be the focus of the court, rather than on the clients. Then again, from early on it was rumoured that many VIPs were among the victim’s “customers”, hence the blinkered focus on the victim rather than her clients. And the clients who…

BOH Seri Songket flavored teas

For many a year, boxes of BOH's Seri Songket flavored tea have served as handy buah tangans for relatives and friends in Switzerland and the USA, providing exotic teas in an exquisite bit of packaging. I'd not tasted any of these teas for myself, though, so this time around on my trip to Malaysia I made it a point to get me a few boxes of my own.

I picked three: Earl Grey with Tangerine; Passion Fruit; and Lime & Ginger; and have tasted two out of the three so far. According to Moomykin, the unlikely Lychee Rose combination is surprisingly good, so I'll grab that next time. Other flavors available in theory are Cinnamon; Clove & Cardamom; Mango; and Vanilla.

Review of the Seri Songket Passion Fruit flavored tea:
I've had this twice so far.

When you open the sachet, the smell/flavor is rather overpowering. But it all disappears when the teabag is steeped in hot water.

The first time, I used one bag to make 4 cups of tea. It seemed a touch watery, and tasted j…

It's been a while...

It's been so long.

Here's what's been going on. I had one kid, then another. Thing One / Nova was my first ever exposure to a kid. I'd never changed a diaper until he came along, and even then I deferred to the hubs or the NICU nurses before I forced myself to overcome that ?fear?.

He is my first. So I always wondered during tough times, was it just me? Or was it also him?

Turns out, it was us both.


He starts First Grade this August. He's currently being (re-)evaluated for an IEP (Individualised Education Plan). ADHD. ODD. ASD. SPD. The journey to these labels was a long one. And still ongoing because I don't think we have it quite right yet. But the labels help. I fought against getting labels. But now I seek them. Anything to help understand. Never in a million years would I have foreseen me medicating my kids. Yet here I am, seeking new meds, getting him a genetic test that should help identify which medications should help him, since the usual suspects see…