Sunday, March 05, 2006

... namenotappropriaitis?

This Yahoo!News headline Naming of roads, bridges annoys many caught my eye, just as I was in the process of signing off, so of course lah I followed the link rather than get off-line :p

It was a rather amusing read, about the effort in some towns/states to (re-)name bridges, highways and roads, and how the choice of names can be very loudly protested by some people.

But hey, you can't please all the people all the time, right?

Then again, when politicians use this naming ability as an "... easy way to reward or woo supporters and build political capital ..." of course things won't make sense...

...

but whatever it is, I don't think the U.S. can beat the naming of things like streets and roundabouts in Malaysia, especially not in Kuching, as highlighted by Kenny Sia last June. For those who missed out on that Datuknametoolongitis article, please do check it out HERE.

Really lah.. naming a roundabout as "Bulatan Datuk Patinggi Abang Haji Abdillah Bin Datuk Bandar Abang Haji Mohammad Kassim" is crazy, no matter what the fella's contribution to Kuching might have been!

..........

okay,,, i *really* need to get off line and start packing/clearing up the rest of the junk in "my" "room" ...

byeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...