Tuesday, March 14, 2006

insomnia catatonia

no mood to go to sleep

it's now 2am

I visited the Star*ucks at PBD again earlier today/yesterday/whatever. Can you believe they close at 11??!!! omg so not worth it to go after dinner loh! Still haven't figured out how to determine which CBTL outlets are wifi-equipped (dulu only a select few, dunno about now... the last thing i want to happen is my setting up in one of them only to find "no wireless network detected".. that would be very baddddddd!!)

Back to star*ucks @ PBD: been there twice so far. Both times, they got my order wrong. The first time, I asked for my usual "ice vanilla latter regular skim milk". I got a hot latte instead. I asked for iced! They remade it. I caught the guy before he used fullcream instead of skinny. Fine. Got the new drink. Took a sip. Errr, is there vanilla in this? Oh, you want vanilla ah? Sigh. They add the shot of flavour. Ah, *now* it's drinkable. sometime during the remakes, I checked the receipt: yes, I *did* pay for an "ice latte (v)" so I was justified in getting them to make it as ordered and paid for. Then earlier today, I again asked for "my" drink. I dunno if I mumble, if they are not listening, or what... I could have sworn he repeated my order correctly - and yet I was billed for (and got) a normal ice latte - so my first sip was like UGH, checked the receipt, saw that it matched what I had in hand even tho it's NOT what I ordered... and just had it anyway... but really, I don't wanna go back there. They suck.

...

am doing some groundwork for a magazine article I've been asked to write: it was supposed to be one article, but it looks like it may expand into a series of articles instead, seeing that the subject matter is quite varied / can be approached from very different angles. I just feel like things are spinning out of control - let's take things one step at a time please!! After all, potential article #2 can't be finalised till at least mid-July, and by that time I really hope I am no longer in the country! So instead of ONE interview, I've been asked to add another, in addition to a few that I was wanting to do on my own anyway (sorry so vague, don't want to be too specific loh!). Sigh.

Kinda related to that" I see that there seems to be dissatisfaction among the ranks of NSTP journalists, leading to lots of resignations / acceptance of VSS recently. Perhaps that might help me get a basic entry-level part-time thingy with them, as others move up to fill in the blanks? Should I try?

Bleh, that reminds me: I need to totally revamp my resume, highlighting my strengths and skills rather than listing my jobs during my 9 years of work. I have a good idea as to how to go about doing it... the challenge is sitting down and actually doing it lah. It will probably end up too different from the "usual Malaysia-style" resumes, but heck lah, it will just prove that I think & act differently than the average joe/jane, and am not afraid to say so (within reasonable boundaries lah).

What next, what next....

ah yes... the shallowness of some people... okay so i'm catching up with friends, ex-colleagues, and some people that fall into the category of "people I know" (i.e. not close lah). My being engaged usually pops up in the conversation, and they want to know who/how/etc. And all too often, when I say he's a 4th year medical student graduating this May, I see a change in face, eyes light up, and hear a comment like "wow, good catch, you're marrying a doctor!" It really rubs me the wrong way, somehow. Perhaps I just don't give much information so there's not much for them to converse about so that's all they can think of to say? Or is it just a sign of where their priorities lie?

And actually, that's one of the reasons I am so malas to visit any of my relatives while I'm back here... I anticipate lots of annoying questions about my activities of the last 2 years or so, which will include of course mention of Kosh, and his future occupation, etc etc etc, with very high chances that there will be numerous queries that will piss me off: not that I blame them, it's kinda just how they are... but me being how *i* am, I'd rather not subject myself to all that annoyance for as long as possible. Some might call it avoidance. I call it prevention! :D

Exercise: after that disheartening post, I ended up skipping gym for many days.. i think i've been there only 2x in the last week :p am bucking up again tho... just needed a mental break from it (plus I had some earlier-in-the-day appointments last week, and wanted to sleep in late *grin!*). ... and on a related note: i wonder what part of "it's great because I have the gym all to myself" does a parent not understand, such that I got asked today "So when you go to the gym is there anyone else in there with you?" I just answer "Nope" and walk away, don't wanna have the same conversation again lah.

Bleh.

All that took me about 57 mins.

Mental vomit.

Bleh.

i try sleep now.

g'nite.

1 comment:

  1. So I guess I am not the only one with a sleep problem. I slept at around 2 yesterday too, too engrosed with some incomplete work on my computer.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...