Sunday, March 26, 2006

... of kissing skies and guys ...

"Excuse me, while I kiss this guy!"

That's one of the most famous mis-heard song lyrics, supposedly.

And me and my total immersion into music at one point in my life, so much so that depending on the group/song I could probably sing you the entire song just like that, I have found out that I was mis-hearing a few lyrics.

Not much, tho.

Of course, this was well before the age of the internet and online lyrics. This was even before putting lyrics in with the cassette (not even CD's yet!) was common. So we all had to just rely on what we grasped during the song, or do like me and my friends - sometime spoiling our casette cos we'd play stop scribble lyrics rewind stop play stop amend lyrics rewind stop play scribble more lyrics stop rewind check lyrics etc etc etc

Some mis-heard lyrics that pop into my mind:

Paul Young : Every time you go away, you take a piece of me with you.
has been misheard as ~~~ you take a piece of meat with you ~~~

Madonna: gonna dress you up with my love, all over all over
~~~ dress you up with Milo ~~~

Marshall Tucker Band: Heard it in a love song
~~~ purty little love song ~~~

Elton John : Hold me close, my tiny dancer
~~~ Tony Danza ~~~ (this was mentioned in FRIENDS once)

AC/DC : dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap
~~~ dirty deeds done with sheep ~~~ (well that works too, LOL!)

Men at Work: Down Under
    do you come from the land down under, where women glow and men plunder
    ~~~ where women go and make thunder ~~~

    He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
    ~~~ gave me a bite of his meat sandwich ~~~
Plenty more out there, but these are the ones "closer to my heart" :D

Got any of yours?

Oh, and if you want to waste some time looking up mis-heard lyrics, look no further than the appropriately-named kissthisguy.com. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I thought that the words "do you come from the land down under" as "do you come from the land of Allah".

    Yeah! Hillarious though some people might not find it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the old England Dan and John Ford Cooley song "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" with the original lyrics that goes... "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in."

    A lot of us misheard it as "I'm not talkin bout no leavin' " or "I'm not talkin' bout no grievin'" me and my classmates would argue over what the actual lyrics were. LOL!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...