Friday, March 17, 2006

a summary of Biblical condensation?

One major part of English lessons when in Forms 1 - 3 was the "summary" part:
    There'd be this one-page article that we'd have to "summarise" into a max of 100 words. I always felt that entire exercise was just a waste of time: the "technique" was to find the 10 key points of the article, and couch each of those points in a 10-word sentence. Ta-daaaaaah, you get a 100-word "summary".

    Bleh.

    The product was always stilted: the focus was more on the 10 key points than on flow/coherence. I know, I know, it was after all called "summary" .... but still... dunno what good it did in the bigger picture...

Other exposures to "summaries" were much better: the Readers Digest immediately comes to mind, what with their condensed versions of books and all.

Then a while ago, I stumbled across this from (then) Just Pure Mood: a condensed version of The Bible, in 50 words:
God made

Adam bit
Noah arked
Abraham split
Joseph ruled
Jacob fooled

Bush talked
Moses balked
Pharaoh plagued
People walked
Sea divided

Tablets guided
Promise landed
Saul freaked
David peeked

Prophets warned
Jesus born

God walked
Love talked

Anger crucified
Hope died

Love rose
Spirit flamed
Word spread
God remained.

Wonder if the person who thought of this worked with the Readers Digest?

P/S> ex-JPM: I couldn't find the post on your new site to link to: didn't keep track of *when* I found it on yr (old) blog, just where :p I'll be happy to add the link, if you don't mind providing it? :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha, that biblical condensation was brilliant... and funny. :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, drop me a comment.

about two months later...

 ... hi again. This return to blogging is really not working out, is it? Actually, I am writing, three pages of mind vomit and affirmations ...